A Quandary: Go North or South?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 17:38
ThreadID: 73142 Views:2699 Replies:13 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Well, we've picked up our new van and we are in Hervey Bay. I'm not sure what to do next. Our original plan was to go north to Cairns and take a couple of weeks to come back to Brisbane then head thru NSW and SA back to WA.

However, there are fires around Rockhampton and forecasts for Cairns etc appear to show rising temps and humidity which could make things a bit uncomfortable.

So, do we go north, risk the discomfort and then, on the way home, possibly find ourselves in the New England district of NSW with similar high temps around the middle to end of November, or

Turn south now and enjoy a cool New England district and come back to QLD next year?

What's it like in Rockhampton right now?

What's in like in Cairns in early November?

What's it like in the New England District in late Nov, early Dec?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 17:47

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 17:47
Sounds like a great dilemma to have to face! :)

It might depend what you've seen previously and what you want to see... Personally, I'd probably probably head south for the cooler climate since I don't really like the heat and the mozzies come after me like a bunch of footy fans chasing free beer Having said that, I'd be interested to see one of those tropical places in the Rainy Season (we don't get serious rain where I come from).
AnswerID: 387757

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 17:48

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 17:48
Damn what a dilemma, wish I was there to help you toss the coin and carry your bags north or south :-)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 387758

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 20:15

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 20:15
Hi GB

Glad you have your new van at last, and hope you are well pleased with it.

It depens how you cope with the heat. The Atherton tablelands are mild for much of the year. We were too hot in Qld, but it turned cold as soon as we crossed into NSW. We had some rainy days as well. It was very cold on the Barrington Tops but lovely and well worth it. I hoped it would snow, as the Old Rooster has never touched snow, but it didn't. We left the van at Copeland Reserve, a lovely spot to stay for a few days not far out of Barrington.

Now we have reached Dubbo, it is quite hot - first time i have felt hot since we left Qld. Forecast is for 34 most days this week - that's like summer for us at home.

The New England area was wonderful. We stayed at Dumaresk Dam for a few days and did day trips to the waterfalls. We then stayed at a lovely tiny caravan park at Walcha. The countryside around there the lushest we have seen. Climate cool, and more waterfalls and gorges to tour.

Happy travels

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 387782

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:33

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:33
Hey Motherhen, how in the heck do you and hubby get a leave pass for this long. What is it 5 months plus? The longest I am allowed is 3 - Grand kids birthdays etc.
Have fun on the rest of your trip and safe travels on the way home.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 655415

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2009 at 16:47

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2009 at 16:47
Hi Tony

That reminded me to purchase some postcards for the Grandies today. I leave birthday presents at home for my daughter to get to the little ones in time. We have missed three so far, and will miss three more.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 655668

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2009 at 18:14

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2009 at 18:14
hi MH
You must be getting "craft".
The Dept. of War says 3 to 4 months is enough, must have her grand kid fix
even tho as you do presents are left etc.

Must stpo nattering this way otherwise will get modded.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 655678

Reply By: jimbamb - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 20:29

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 20:29
Hi Gone Bush,
I live in Hervey Bay and i'm visiting my daughter who lives in the New England between Inverell and Armidale. The days are beautiful at the moment but the nights have been a little cool around the 1 degree, but by 9 o'clock just perfect.
Regards Kay
AnswerID: 387784

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:22

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 00:22
Gone Bush,

We visited the New England (Glen Innes/ Armidale) area a couple of xmas' ago and it was freezing. Got down to around 5-6 at night (love it) and the day time temps were just right at around the mid 20's. We thought we would swelter but that didn't happen until we got to Dubbo where we stayed in a cabin/tent inside the Western Plains Zoo. It was our daughters birthday so it was a special treat, but it got to 42 deg that day and the night was not much cooler.

So how long are you in Hervey Bay for.

Cheers

Greg

AnswerID: 387827

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:07

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:07
Mr Bush,

Rockhampton is a little warm in places and not very good if you are Asthmatic ;)

That doesn't mean don't visit as the daily temps are only in the low 30's, you are right though it is beginning to get warmer and hopefully some of the increasing humidity will turn into wide spread rain as it is very very dry up here.

Maybe just pass through Rockhampton and stay where the air isn't as smoky or do the reverse and do the inland trip north and come down the coast for the return trip. As the fires may be out by then.

The new England is also a great area to explore but a small word of warning about the area (It is in COCKROACH territory;) )

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 387836

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:11

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:11
Thanks everyone,

we are leaving Hervey Bay on Thur morning. I think we'll go to Woodgate for a couple of days and then Bundaberg and assess things then.

Wayne, in Cairns, if you're reading this I haven't forgotten about that package for Corregin. I'll ring you if our plans change.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 387837

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:01

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:01
Woodgate is a nice spot.
Been 30 years since I last camped there, when it was just 4 houses, a general store and caravan park. It has changed a bit by the look of last visit for the day.

If up at Bundy, try heading up to Mon Repose, Baffle Ck, Rules Beach, Deep Water national park, and if you like it a bit busy and glitzy, 1770. 1770 however is a beautiful spot, spoilt for us since the road was made bitumen all the way and the condos and resorts started going in.

Much further north and you will be heading towards Gladstone and Sir Kev, which could be dangerous. :o)
FollowupID: 655432

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:16

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:16
The caravan pk at Elliot Heads is a nice spot too, patrolled surf beach on one side and river on the other.
Agnes/1770 is a bit busy atm but the best cp is the one in 1770 on the water front. Or you can camp in Eurimbula NP behind the dunes or near the creek.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 655437

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:04

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:04
John,

He will have to be quick to see me in Calliope.

I finish work up here on the 30th and am moving to Chinchilla the following week, so will have to do a Blog so poeple will know that I have moved etc ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 655448

Reply By: landed eagle - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:48

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:48
I've just spent four weeks around the Rocky area and North up to Port Douglas. Just about the whole area is affected by smoke haze. Very obvious from the sea looking back to the coast.
Rocky was OK for temperature but once we hit Cairns the stickiness had started and Port Douglas was a sweat fest!
Ten minutes after a swim you needed another one!
If you do go North, stop at the Rollingstone Big4 and ask for a beachfront site. Worth it just to wake up to the view.
AnswerID: 387843

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:49

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 07:49
G/Day GB

If you are heading to the New England area, stop off in Stanthorpe for a couple of days, and check out the Wineries, I know you have plenty over in WA, but they have some good wines over here as well, I recommend staying at the Top Of The Town C/Park, it's a good quality park, with several drive through sites for your size van, anyway what ever you do have a safe trip.

Cheers
AnswerID: 387844

Reply By: Member - Tonyb (FNQ) - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 18:25

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 18:25
Go North :-)

Nothing wrong with the temperature, the new van must have a fan :-)

Most fires have run their course so smoke haze is on its way out - Some showers the last couple of days and still cool enough...will not stay that way though :-)

Best to camp up on the Tablelands and do day trips to the coast - that way you get the nice cool nights to have a good sleep, Cairns is a bit humid to sleep in November.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 387928

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 18:37

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 18:37
Hi Gone Bush
We lived in New England for 15 years & are moving back there early next year.
A hot day in Armidale is 32, BUT, just down the road at Tamworth the same day would be 42.
Armidale, Glen Innes, Guyra & Uralla are all over 1000 metres and a lot cooler that the area around.
Which ever way you go, Enjoy the trip Home
Vince
AnswerID: 387930

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 18:53

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 18:53
Just left Rowes Bay CP IN Townsville where we spent 2 weeks.
Currently at the Big 4 at Rollingstone on a beachfront site ,wind is a bit blowy but expected to abate tonight view and park are terrific
Here till Friday then up to Mission Beach --Beachcomber Coconut Village for a week then into Cairns to visit rellys. Weather is good warm days and mild nights.
Nothing wrong with heading North.
AnswerID: 387933

Reply By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2009 at 19:54

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2009 at 19:54
Hi Bushy, Firstly if your after some where cooler in Qld then try the Bunya Mts, the climb up is a bit steep but you would not have any problems, all Nat Park.
Next....we have just travelled down from Nanango to Newcastle, last week end, and went Stanthrope Armidale, Uralla and then to Walcha and down Thunderbolts Way and as Motherhen posted the country is just lush I could not believe how green it was, especially where the rest of the north is nearly like a desert. There is two free camps, the first at Bretti, love fresh water stream flowing and you are still around 1000 meters. Great place to be when every where is hot and worried about fires, as that won't be a problem there.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 388106

Sponsored Links